Portugal is a popular golf destination, known for its sunny weather, scenic courses, and affordable prices. The country has around 90 golf courses, with most located in the Algarve region in the south. But there are also plenty of golf courses in Portugal, from north to south, so you’re never far from the tee wherever you are in the country.
So if you’re planning on a golfing holiday in Portugal, we’ve taken a look at some of the best resorts in the country to help you decide…
The Algarve is the most popular tourism and golf destination in Portugal, with over 40 courses to choose from. The region’s courses range from easy to challenging, and many offer beautiful views of the coast.
In addition to this, the Algarve also features plenty of golf resorts which often offer great package prices. So if you’re looking for the full golf holiday vibes, with spa treatments, pool, buffet breakfast and (obviously) a spot of beach too, then this is the place to go.
Some of the top golf courses in the Algarve include:
- Vale do Lobo Royal Course: a challenging course with stunning sea views, designed by Sir Henry Cotton
- San Lorenzo Golf Course: a championship course with a stunning location along the Ria Formosa nature reserve
- Quinta do Lago South Course: a scenic course with plenty of water hazards and fast greens
Average cost to play a round of golf in the Algarve is around €100-€150. But, many hotels and golf resorts will include several rounds either discounted for guests or included in the package price.
Find some great prices for golf packages at On The Beach.
Lisbon is another popular golf destination in Portugal, with around 20 courses in the area. The courses in and around Lisbon are known for their varied terrain and interesting layouts.
You’re less likely to find a golf package deal here, but the benefits of being around Lisbon are that you can explore this vibrant capital city and enjoy the culture and other trappings.
Some of the top golf courses in the Lisbon area include:
- Oitavos Dunes: a challenging course with ocean views, designed by Arthur Hills
- Penha Longa Atlantic Course: a hilly course with stunning views of Sintra and the Atlantic Ocean
- Praia D’El Rey Golf Course: a championship course with a links-style layout and beautiful views of the coast
Average cost to play a round of golf in Lisbon is around €80-€120.
Porto and the North
The Porto and the North region of Portugal is less developed for golf, but still has a few great courses to offer. The region’s courses tend to be more challenging and mountainous, with fewer coastal courses than in the Algarve.
The Porto region is also often (relatively) milder than the Algarve, meaning you might end up with some heavy crosswinds or an Atlantic squall in the Autumn or Spring.
Some of the top courses in Porto and the North include:
- Vidago Palace Golf Course: a hilly course with scenic views of the countryside and the Vidago Palace hotel
- Estela Golf Club: a challenging links course with Atlantic Ocean views
- Amarante Golf Course: a course set among vineyards and with views of the Tâmega river
Average cost to play a round of golf in Porto and the North is around €70-€100.
Overall, Portugal is a great golf destination with a variety of courses to suit all levels of golfers, and with affordable green fees compared to other European destinations. Check out On The Beach for great golf holidays.
We also love Portugal for her great food, stunning landscapes and things to see and do. And it’s definitely one of the best countries in Europe for a summer holiday.
Leave a Reply